Sunday 2 March 2008

looking for lambs in all the wrong places

Since it is now March and I consider March to be spring, I thought I'd ride my bike to Bradwall to see if I could find some lambs. Bradwall is right near Sandbach and is basically farms and fields. Right around this time each year if you go into the countryside anywhere in England you are likely to find one of the cutest sights you will ever see...lambs!! The fields are full of them and you can hardly hear yourself talk because they are all bleating like crazy.
Unfortunately, there were no lambs to be found today. In fact, there were hardly any sheep that I could see! I'm assuming they take all the sheep in before they have their babies, so I'll go back in a week or two to see if the magical event has taken place.
While I was out there, I took a few pictures of some of my other favorite things in Bradwall. My favorite farm with a little winding stream. It has snowed twice (!) since I've been here, and once was on Boxing Day. We went on a big walk through Bradwall and this farm looked magical, like a post card. I've also taken a picture from the train bridge - this is the train-line Erin and Stanley took into Manchester. One time Dave and I were out for a walk and he got the idea that we should climb over the fence and walk down the railway! We kept getting really scared and asking each other, 'Did you feel the track vibrate?' It was a bit like that part on Stand by Me when they put their ear to the track to see if the train is coming. Of course, as you can see in the picture there is plenty of room on either side of the track to jump to safety, so we were in no real danger. It was very scary at the time, though.
The big white house is in Bradwall and I think that guy who lives here owns a lot of the surrounding land. They had a lot of restoration work done on it a couple years ago and I think it's beautiful. These are some of the few sheep that I saw today. You can see how wild and woolly they are now, but in a month or two they'll be naked and skinny. I always think it must be such a relief to get all that heavy, dirty wool off their backs.
Anyway, Dave and I always say we're so lucky to have the countryside pretty much on our door-step, so hopefully you've enjoyed this little glimpse at the lovely Cheshire views.

2 comments:

ern said...

man you can't beat the english countryside... thx 4 the pics they are beautiful. cant wait to see the lambs!

Middle Man said...

Lovely post about the village. You might enjoy this on a related topic (it is Bradwall):

http://caughtinthemiddleman.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/sheep-to-the-slaughter/